Some information on these pages has been removed or obscured to protect against identity fraud.

04 August, 2011


Frederick James Gowers    1889 – 1944




Frederick, my Granddad and my mum's father came from a large family of eight children and was the eldest son of James & Jessy Gowers.
I know very little about his life at the moment because he died long before I was born. So far all the information I have has come from birth, marriage and death certificates and his only living daughter, my aunty Win remembers very little about him because she was just ten years old when he passed away.

What we do know is that family all came from West London.
Frederick was born at home, 9 Mansfield Road, Walthamstow, Essex on the 25th May 1898.
By the time he married my Nan, Emily on 31st October 1918 in West Ham Parish church, Essex, the family had moved home and were now living at 76 Tennyson Road, West Ham.
Their marriage certificate also tells us that he was a soldier at the time and must have fought in the 1914-1918 Great War, but I’ll have to try and get hold of his service records to find out where he actually was.

Frederick and Emily moved to their own home, 1 Agnes Gardens, Chadwell Heath, Dagenham, Essex, and later to 299 Valence Avenue, Dagenham, where they raised their family of seven children and after leaving the army Granddad found work with the London and North Eastern Railway, first as a General Labourer and then an electrician.

He passed away 7th February 1944 in 1Oldchurch Road, Romford. (Oldchurch Hospital) suffering from lung cancer at the age of 55.

That's about as far as my knowledge of him goes at the moment, so hopefully my investigations through various members of the family will come up with some more interesting facts about his life.





~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~


7 Gypsies – ‘?????’ Patterned Papers
Bazzill – Brown Card
Basic grey – Plain Paper

Other Stash
Letter and Number Stickers
Round Metal Buttons
Fancy Brads
Round Brass Tag
Grandfather Plaque
Metallic Photo Corners
Eyelets
Hemp Cord
Dymo Words

1 comment:

  1. I love this LO. The lacing was a brilliant idea (might have to pinch it) ... and everything all just knits together ...right colours right embelishments. I really hope you find out about his army life so you can add it to this tribute. xx

    ReplyDelete